When working in underserved communities, I encounter many patients who are interested in naturally supporting their immune system as they recover from viral illnesses.
Aware of their limited finances, I’ve distilled Functional Medicine anti-inflammatory principles into a budget-friendly list of recommendations to accelerate their healing. Since inflammation correlates with severity of COVID-19, I offer this information to patients who are motivated because they feel ill.
Inflammation in our body is analogous to “mud” — created quickly, but long-lasting, especially if it “rains” again and again. For this reason, I recommend at least two weeks of adherence to improve chances of benefit.
After receiving the first dose of the historic COVID-19 vaccine during the midst of the third and most deadly surge, I am sharing my Anti-Inflammatory Essentials from the frontlines — for individuals at a loss for how to help themselves when they are sick.
- NO gluten
- NO dairy
- ESPECIALLY NO combo gluten-dairy (e.g., cereal with milk, mac and cheese, pizza)
- NO sports drinks or soda (gluten-equivalent additives/contaminants, high fructose corn syrup, artificial color)
- ADD cabbage family (arugula, broccoli, brussels sprouts, cauliflower, etc.) daily
- ADD zinc supplement 25-50mg daily (if available)
- ADD Omega-3 Fatty Acid (fish oil) 1gm 3x/day
- ADD Vitamin C 1-2 gm 3x/day
- ADD Vitamin D3 2000-5000u daily
- REMOVING inflammatory agents is generally more impactful than ADDING supplements